Subject: French Rockbox translation

French Rockbox translation

From: Fred <speedup_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 14:30:26 +0200

Hello !

We (the Rockbox french translation team) are still working on the new
translation, and there I send you my own production with the .lang
editable file and the .lng file, suited for immediate use if you are
using the latest daily builds (use new.fr-francais.lng).

The real reason why I'm writing to the Rockbox ML is that we currently
have two different english.lang files in the Rockbox project : the one
available on the website (http://rockbox.haxx.se/lang/) and the one
from the CVS. And that's where the trouble begins : the binlang script
requires an english.lang file, and my francais.lang file is based on
the up-to-date english.lang file from the website, as the CVS one is
lacking some strings and still has some deprecated references. If I
give binlang the websites's english.lang file (new2.fr-francais.lng),
it becomes incompatible with the daily builds, and if I give binlang
the CVS english.lang file (new.fr-francais.lng) the lng file becomes
usable, but the new strings are rejected and I got some error messages
about the lacking deprecated strings. Would you please update the CVS
english.lang file so that from now on the new daily builds would be up
to date, and explain me why there are two different english.lang files
around ?

Another thing : my francais.lng file generated with the new
english.lang file weights 6192 octets but the CVS language.h file only
accepts language files that are under 6000 octets, could this limit be
made more flexible, or be increased ? Is there a way of optimising
language files considering their weight (other than cutting strings) ?

Enjoy Rockbox,

Fred