Subject: Re: 3.5" hdd?

Re: 3.5" hdd?

From: [IDC]Dragon <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 11:43:49 +0200 (MEST)

> I've just bought my second Recorder from eBay (6gig upgraded to 20gig)
> My aim for this one is to build a permanent home stereo system. The
> advantages over a standard PC are the quick startup time and low noise and
> heat levels, and the built in screen and buttons.
>
> I have about 150gig of files so I wondered how easy it would be to use a
> cheaper 3.5" hdd instead of the 2.5" hdd? I'm guessing the power
> requirements are higher so will the recorder be able to drive it directly.
> If not I've seen external 3.5" USB caddies that use a separate 12v/5v psu.

You'll need a different power supply solution, as 3.5" drives need 12V as
well. Definitely beyound the capabilities of the poor AA cells!
Those external enclosures probably generate the 5V internally, from a 12V
supply.

For the disk, everything above 128 GB (137 GB if counting like HD
manufacturers do) is not accessible, since the USB bridge is not capable of
BigLBA, and Rockbox is also not using that addressing scheme. So create a
partition to stay below that.

Jörg

--
Supergünstige DSL-Tarife + WLAN-Router für 0,- EUR*
Jetzt zu GMX wechseln und sparen http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl