Subject: RE: Feature Request: USB HDD only Custom Rom.

RE: Feature Request: USB HDD only Custom Rom.

From: Joel Wiramu Pauling <aenertia_at_aenertia.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 01:09:58 +1200

On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 00:44, Stuart Tedford wrote:
> > Yup, but you could force rockbox to take control back by
> > pretending that
> > the usb cable has been removed right? What implication would this have
> > if say you were actually reading/writing somthing?
> >
> It would corrupt some data on your disk, and you could potentially loose
> everything on the disk if it corrupted certain things.

I figured as much but it´s worth asking these questions =-) In the vain
hope the usb logic would deal with a disconnection in mid transfer
gracefully. Which brings me to the point... has anyone actually tried
this before?? (I,e making the rockbox think the usb is not active when
it is) If not i´m more than willing to screw around to see what happens,
if someone could tell me how to do it. (Before I go putting anything of
value on the disk)
I can´t beleive the usb logic would not have some sort of half graceful
exit given the propensity for people to pull out usb hardware willy
nilly.

What if it were using an atomic file system like reiser4? And not kak
fat32? This would reduce the risk of file corruption ALOT, as reiser4 is
perfect for this type of application.

Remembering that the point of having an optimised HDD drive only rockbox
rom isn´t for playing music or accessing files through the rockbox
interface, but for for keeping the battery alive longer, while connected
through USB. In this case having the rockbox think it still has controll
while USB is connected isn´t such a bad thing, because you can strip out
any read/write functions from the rockbox code and just focus on the
power management.