Translations

Rockbox mail archive

Subject: Re: Updated: Rockbox running directly from flash rom (ROMbox)

Re: Updated: Rockbox running directly from flash rom (ROMbox)

From: Jens Arnold <arnold-j_at_t-online.de>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 09:09:12 +0200

Hello Brian

>>> Any idea how long will it be until there is a version of
>>> rombox available using the new font format? (hint,hint...)
>>

>> Done :)

> I'm curious, though - perhaps the solution is obvious and I'm
> being dense, but I'll ask anyway (hasn't stopped me yet). When
> I replaced the old font format with the new one, but hadn't
> yet ROLO'ed into the build that uses the new format, how was
> the text being displayed on my recorder? IOW, new font files,
> but the old format rockbox. I assume it was just because I
> ROLO'ed the new one and reflashed *before shutting down*,
> having booted with the old font/build, and it was using the
> old format font - still in memory - until the ROLO?

Yes.

> This leads to the real question: if someone unzips the new
> build, replaces the fonts, and then shuts down before flashing
> the new code, what will they see when they restart? Is there a
> default display font, or is it possible to get severely
> inconvenienced that way, i.e., having to put back the old font
> format file via USB so you can then see what you're doing in
> order to finish the update? And if so, should we perhaps warn
> people not to do that - before it happens?

Nothing bad will happen, since rockbox has (and always had since
there was loadable font support) a builtin default font. So if
an older rockbox version can't load the new fonts, it will use
this instead.
While testing, I experienced this the other way round, i.e. I
rolo'ed a build with the new font routines, while still having
the old fonts on disk -> same result, default font was used.

Regards, Jens