Subject: Re: Hello. Help!

Re: Hello. Help!

From: Manuel Dejonghe <limbus_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 14:16:20 +0200

Hi Kyle,

the adaptor is likely to be a problem to the batteries than to the
device itself.
(see http://rockbox.haxx.se/twiki/bin/view/Main/BatteryFAQ#Q10_Can_I_use_a_different_charge).
If due to the power fluctuations, it may be the adaptor delivers more
than 12V which may heat up the regulator. This regulator saves the
batteries from getting charged with too much power, but heats up, and
the heat may damage other things.
If the problem was solved before with new batteries, then I would say
you unit is in a good shape.
You should try to conditioner your new set of batteries (3 cycles of
complete charge and discharge with your favorite charger (your new
adapter) and your favorite discharger (rockbox running all night
long).

Furthermore, you have to know rockbox only predicts how long the
batteries will last. First of all, this is based on the
capacity-setting (see menu->general->system->battery iIrc) and the way
rockbox developer think you are using it. If you keep the backlight on
or the disk spinning more than usual (games, constant browsing), it
will drain the batteries more than expected.

Last but not least, iIrc, the charging only starts a few seconds (40)
or a minute after having plugged in the adaptor if it's been charging
or switched on (very) lately.

I hope that helps you a small bit,
    manuel