Subject: Re: basic questions

Re: basic questions

From: [IDC]Dragon <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:09:32 +0200 (MEST)

> However, I am a totally blind user and want to install the
> software to make the product talk. The site states that a daily build is
> required for this. My question, do I need to install the 2.2 release
> prior
> to installing a daily build or can I just go ahead and install the daily
> build?

Just go ahead with the daily build. We have a FAQ for blind users:
http://rockbox.haxx.se/twiki/bin/view/Main/BlindFAQ

> Also, can someone recommend a daily build with the speech module
> that is fairly stable? I want to learn how to use the basic features and
> enjoy the product a bit before I start beta testing various builds with
> bugs.

On the contrary, the daily builds are usually much better than the aged
release, because the bugs have been squashed already.

> Also, any tips and tricks for installing the software from a Win XP
> machine are appreciated.

You should get the .zip for your FM. Today this would be:
http://rockbox.haxx.se/daily/fmrecorder/rockbox-fmrecorder-20040830.zip

Extract the full content, preserving the directory structure, to your
jukebox. To get speech, you need a voice file in addition. For example this
one:
http://rockbox.haxx.se/twiki/pub/Main/VoiceFiles/english_Crystal.zip

Extract the contained file "english.voice" into the directory
"/.rockbox/langs/" of you box. Then you should have voice menus by default.
An advanced topic is to create the clips for spoken directory names, you
need a TTS engine on your PC, there is a script for that, more later.

Happy rockboxing,
Jörg

--
NEU: Bis zu 10 GB Speicher für e-mails & Dateien!
1 GB bereits bei GMX FreeMail http://www.gmx.net/de/go/mail