Subject: RE: Dead-ish JBR 20

RE: Dead-ish JBR 20

From: Stuart Tedford <stuart.tedford_at_piresearch.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 09:42:44 +0100

> It looks like the difference between the two drives is that
> the 20G is rated for .5A, and the 60G is rated at .7A.

The difference is the way in which they rate the power use on the drive
sticker - they will both draw 1A when spinning up. You should be able to
find datasheets for both drives and you will see they are about the same in
terms of current, so I don't think this is the main cause.

> This extra 200mA seems to being causing the JBR to not supply
> the correct voltage to spin up the drive.

I would suggest it is your batteries. Try some new ones and see if it still
happens. I have been using a 5400rpm toshiba disk in my V1 for 5 months,
and I have started to notice that the batteries won't spin up the drive when
they drop to about 4.7 volts. I'm sure it was lower than this when I had a
slow travelstar drive in it.

Stu.