Subject: Re: eliminate duplicate files

Re: eliminate duplicate files

From: Brian Wolven <brian.wolven_at_verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 13:05:57 -0400

Stu Engelke wrote:
> I'd like something that looked for files with -similar- names.
> Beatles - Hard days night.mp3
> The Beatles - Its a Hard Days Night.mp3

If you have doubleKiller select based on file size and CRC checksum (which is
computed only if file sizes match first, so as to save time) it will do this. If
you have recordings of the same tune with different encoder settings and
slightly different file names it's not going to catch them, however.

CloneSpy looked pretty nice, too, although the number of options was a little
intimidating for that first casual glance. Perhaps it can select files based on
your "name similarity" criterion?