Subject: RE: Ondio question

RE: Ondio question

From: Stuart Tedford <stuart.tedford_at_piresearch.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 15:19:13 +0100

> > Hi, Is it peculiar to the Ondio then, that the MC won't fit?
>
> MMC, you mean? Yes, Archos has used a socket which
> mechanically only takes
> MMC, no SD card. I wonder why, seems like an unnecessary restriction.

I think it is because something that has an SD card driver, also
automatically supports MMC (unless the manufacturer has deliberately removed
MMC support). But something that only has an MMC driver will not support
SD. SD is (or was last time I looked over a year ago), a closed standard
and royalties needed to be paid to Panasonic if a manufacturer wanted to
support it. MMC is open.

So I guess Archos chose a slot that won't fit SD so that they don't get
endless customer support enquiries about "my <SD> memory card doesn't work".
When I was looking at it there were calls for Panasonic to open the SD
standard, I guess they are paying for it now as it seems they have fueled
the recent revival of MMC development.

Stu.