Subject: A humble suggestion for voice UI improvement

A humble suggestion for voice UI improvement

From: Peter van Hardenberg <pvh_at_uvic.ca>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 14:09:36 -0700

While I am not blind, it occurs to me that a great many blind users are
having the same difficulties with voice.

Perhaps a keyboard shortcut could be added to rockbox to enable voice
definitively -- something along the lines of On-F3. Then, no matter what,
if after holding On-F3, you don't hear sound, the problem is definitely
with your configuration.

Perhaps, as an extension to this idea, there could be a very small voice
UI file added to the standard distribution with a few spoken error
strings. Off the top of my head, "Voice File Not Found", and "Voice File
Invalid" would probably be good starting points. This would allow blind
users to much more effectively diagnose their problems and come to the
mailing list armed with more accurate information without having to ask
for sighted assistance. The additional bloat to non-voice UI users would
be minimal.

All the best,

-pvh

--