Subject: Re: zagor: apps misc.c,1.19,1.20

Re: zagor: apps misc.c,1.19,1.20

From: Björn Stenberg <bjorn_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 22:05:33 +0200

Linus Nielsen Feltzing wrote:
> One of the main goals with adding the clean shutdown feature was to
> avoid the problems we had with 2.2 (you know, the dir/playlist buffer
> settings were set to 0 on fresh installs). The user had to manually
> force a disk spinup to make sure the settings were saved to disk, and
> often failed because so many people just can't follow simple directions.

I know. But the cure was worse than the disease. We were now *always* powering on and spinning up the disk on shutdown, and if the user kept OFF held down (like people have been doing for the past several years), disk power was abruptly cut off just as the drive was spinning up and/or writing to the platter. Such behaviour is potentially harmful for the drive in the long term and should not be encouraged by Rockbox.

My fix is not the final solution, it merely brings us back to the previous state which I consider the lesser of these two evils. But we must work to solve both problems.

--
Björn