Subject: Re: MBR/Flash problems = dead V2?

Re: MBR/Flash problems = dead V2?

From: [IDC]Dragon <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 13:47:06 +0100 (MET)

Hello Nameless,

I don't really know what the problem is, just a few comments:

> I figured the MBR was corrupt and decided to wipe the MBR using
> DISKPART. After that, reformatted and copied the rockbox 2.3 files
> over again.
>
> On first boot decided to do a re-flash.

Perhaps you should not fight two fires at the same time? Better focus on a
proper disk formatting first. But besides, I don't think the flashing did
any harm if successfully completed. The files are checked first.

> The "RomBox" sounded good so
> I "played" the rombox.ucl file. However, I got the error that my
> bootloader was the wrong version.

That is a hint, not an error. The "old" bootloader also works, but it told
you there's an improved version.

> Meanwhile, I restarted the JBR and all I get is a blank screen (both
> the green and red lights are on).

This is the part which I don't have an idea about...

> I held down the power button for
> 10 seconds to turn the JBR off. Then I hit F1 and On at the same
> time. This loads the Archos 1.40a firmware and the first thing the
> device does is check for free space on the hard drive. I have no idea
> where Rockbox has gone. I used the "File Utility" to "Diagnose."

Which utility? Did I miss something in the Archos firmware?

> It
> returns "Hard Disk OK" but after I click the "back" button I get a
> "File system error - No valid FAT16/32 file system found."

It may be correct.

> I'm really at a loss at what to do next. Does anyone have any
> suggestions? I don't know if there's still something lurking in the
> MBR/bootsector messing things up, or if I've screwed up the ROM - or
> both. Help - please!

Try to wipe and reformat your disk as thorough as you can. If you can't
access it from USB (very strange?) you may take it out and connect it to
your mainboard, with such a cheap IDE 2.5" adapter. Maybe the disk is
broken? You may do further checking with a S.M.A.R.T tool.

Jörg

--
GMX ProMail mit bestem Virenschutz http://www.gmx.net/de/go/mail