Subject: Re: Fw: Creative Labs Zen Xtra

Re: Fw: Creative Labs Zen Xtra

From: Dermot Bradley <bradley_at_tangram.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 18:21:02 -0000 (Europe/Belfast)

> why not upgrade your archos to 80 or even 100 gigs?
> i done it a while ago & it's not very difficult.

Got a Jukebox V2 and this thread got me thinking about upgrading the disk.

I can see Fujitsu (4200rpm, 2Mb cache) and Hitachi/IBM (5400rpm, 8Mb
cache) 80Gbdrives and also a Fujitsu (4200rpm, 8Mb cache) 100Gb unit.

The 100Gb drive is 1 1/3 times the cost of the 80Gb drives so I'll opt for
80Gb. Any comments regarding the pro/cons of the spin rates - I'd assume a
slower spin rate would use less battery power but is 4200rpm fast enough
for an Archos playing VBR (lame -extreme) MP3 files (especially as the
cache is smaller)?

Any recommendations/preferences?