Subject: Re: OT: Linux question

Re: OT: Linux question

From: Jerry Van Baren <gerald.vanbaren_at_smiths-aerospace.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 08:49:15 -0500

Neon John wrote:
> this is totally off-topic but I know there are a lot of linux gurus here.
>
> I just installed Debian Woody stable on my file server to replace winders
> 98. I've had a hell of a time. Been away from Unix for 10+ years and
> forgotten a bunch.
>
> Anyway, my system has the IDE primary and secondary channels on the
> motherboard plus a Promise FastTrack100 TX2 ultra-IDE controller in a
> slot. All was fat and happy with winders. Knoppix booted, found and
> mounted all the drives. SuSe live booted, found and mounted the drives
> but for a variety of reasons, would not install. so I know there is a
> driver out there for this card somewhere....
>
> I've been to the Promise site (every Linux in the world except Debian
> supported). I've googled my heart out. Anyone have any ideas where I
> might find a driver for this card? I have woody on the machine and Sarge
> on CDs so I can go either way.
>
> Thanks,
> John, old time Unix hack, first time Linux nube
> ---
> John De Armond
> johngdDONTYOUDARE_at_bellsouth.net
> http://bellsouthpwp.net/j/o/johngd/
> Cleveland, Occupied TN

I don't know anything about the FastTrak100 driver but Google seems
to... searching "Promise FastTrak100 linux debian"

Turns up
which appears to be very informative. Also
   http://www.wlug.org.nz/SoftwareRaid?version=4

You are jumping right into RAID OOOOOoooooooooooooo you are brave ;-).
This is considerably more complex than non-RAID. I don't have any
experience with RAID, so I'm especially impressed.

gvb