Subject: Podcasting, anybody? (opml reader in rockbox)

Podcasting, anybody? (opml reader in rockbox)

From: Michael Elsdörfer <elsdoerfer_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 15:32:42 +0100

Hi everybody.

First of all, happy new year!

I just searched the mailing list archives and was a bit surprised that
nobody talked about podcasting yet.

For those of you you don't know what podcasting is about, here are a few links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podcasting
http://ipodder.org/

Now, podcasting got it's name from the iPod, but it works great with
my Archos Jukebox as well, so is anybody else here who listens to
podcasts / has his own?

So, I thought about how to improve the listening experience on my AJB,
and how great it is to have a open firmware like rockbox, which would
enable us to actually do this things.

A lot of the podcasters do publish show or production notes in OPML
along with their podcasts, and there is a lot of talk about how great
it would be to have this notes handy *while* listening to the podcast.
Let's take two examples:

* Adam Curry's (http://live.curry.com/) production notes contain links
to the things he talks about, emails he received about topics
discussed in a show, etc.. Wouldn't it be awesome to have a feature
like "F1 | Show OPML" which would allow the user to view this things
at the very same moment he is listening to the show?

* The Dawn And Drew Show (http://www.dawnanddrew.com/) actually
includes timestamps of when they talked about what. If that were
stored in a defined way in the opml file, we could add a feature to
rockbox which would allow the listener to view some kind of table of
contents and jump directly to a certain topic. Or, let's say you
really dislike the song that is currently played, you could just press
a button and jump to it's ending.

So, any thoughts? Any developers who are into podcasting and could
implement such a thing?

Michael