Subject: Re: un-plugging the drive

Re: un-plugging the drive

From: Neon John <johngd_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 15:54:58 -0500

One other consideration. I've kept casual notes on this for some time.
It seems that XP Plug'n'Pray can only withstand a small number of random
disconnects before it goes south and requires a reboot. I don't know the
exact number it is surely less than 10. This seems to apply for anything
under P'n'P's control - PCMCIA cards, USB devices, etc. I've found that I
can avoid that problem by "safely removing hardware" or by using hardware
manager to remove the driver (It'll be automatically installed the next
time the device is connected) before removal for devices that don't show
up in that menu.

John

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 15:02:37 -0500, Brian Wolven
<brian.wolven_at_verizon.net> wrote:

>Glenn at home wrote:
>> I know this has been brought up before, but:
>> I am helping someone on the phone with his JukeBox, and he has been in the
>> habbit of shutting off his JukeBox and then unplugging it from Windows.
>> I suggested to him that it is better to go through "safely remove hardware",
>> and he thought that the Archos manual indicates that it is fine to shut it
>> off, and just un-plug it.
>> What are some thoughts here?
>
>I think that depends on whether or not you have the drive optimized for
>safe removal. If write caching is enabled, then you need to use the
>safely remove hardware option.

---
John De Armond
johngdDONTYOUDARE_at_bellsouth.net