Subject: Re: Playback channel configuration in rockbox - suggestions & survey

Re: Playback channel configuration in rockbox - suggestions & survey

From: Jens Arnold <arnold-j_at_t-online.de>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 23:14:06 +0100

First of all, thanks for all the replies.

>> I think the mono left/right modes could be useful, and the
>> Karaoke setting is quite amusing. And the voice UI
>> side-effect/bug could be fixed instead of removing the
>> karaoke option.

> I've never used the karaoke setting - having said that I
> believe it should be remain as an option - it would be useful
> for my partyrockbox, if i ever have the cash to make it.

Ok, it seems some people consider the karaoke setting useful, so
I should probably not remove it. In this case, it wouldn't make
much sense to remove the single channel mono settings either,
because leaving at least one "unusual" config (like karaoke)
requires to have 2 sound settings, one to qualitatively select
the mode (at least: Normal, Karaoke (, Mono left, Mono right),
and one to set the stereo width for normal mode.

Note that the vanishing voice with the karaoke setting is not a
bug, but it's caused by the nature of the karaoke mode itself.
Karaoke mode completely suppresses all signals that are equal in
both channels. The voice is mono, and a mono signal is always
equal in both channels.
The only way to work around this problem is a change in the
playback engine, so that it overrides the channel mode and
forces mono as long as a mono track is playing.

>> As for the fine grained stereo width settings, I'm all for
>> it!

> ditto :)

Okay.

Regards, Jens