Subject: Re: un-plugging the drive

Re: un-plugging the drive

From: Jens Arnold <arnold-j_at_t-online.de>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 00:46:44 +0100

Hello Glenn

> Do you happen to know what is the default setting for windows?
> This guy is probably using the defaults here.

>From what I found, this depends on which drivers Windows uses.

The drivers provided by Archos (which are necessary for the USB
1.1 jukeboxes) activate the write cache by default. Imho this is
a bad idea for a removable device.

However, the standard mass storage drivers provided by Windows
(usable for USB 2.0 jukeboxes, and all Ondio models) don't
activate the write cache by default.

For the non-working autorun.inf, I guess this has to do with the
drive type that this drive is registered as, or maybe with the
user rights. Here are the MSKB articles that cover these
questions:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;136214
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314855

The first article states that it applies to Win95 and Win98, but
the setting is still there in WinXP (and conveniently a per-user
setting).

Hth, Jens

Regards, Jens