Subject: Please help! Trying to install 80 gig drive....

Please help! Trying to install 80 gig drive....

From: Banzaitron I <leptonhead_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 20:31:19 -0800 (PST)

I just received my replacement HD for my stock Hitachi
which died in my v2 recorder. It's the 80 gig fujitsu
many have recommended. First thing when I opened the
box, I noticed the drive sounds like the insides are
shattered in a million pieces when you handle it. It
sounds like an etch-a-sketch with broken glass inside
of it. I then noticed on the drive that 'rattle noise
is normal when handled'. WTF, I can't believe that!
So I try to hook it up anyway. I slide in the drive,
replace the battery and try and start it using F1 +
usb mode to load up the default firmware (planning to
format it with swisnife). After about a minute, it
finally finds new hardware, but no drive letter
appears. I go into the system control panel there is
a yellow exclamation next to the usb masss storage
device and it says the archos 'couldn't be started'.
When starting with rockbox firmware, it just hangs
forever with no red light activity. Does this mean
the drive is toast? I can't believe my luck with
thing. I tried hooking up the drive to an old laptop
(266 p2) I have, but it reports that no disk is found
in the bios. I'm not sure if that is proof of the
drive being bad though (do all 2.5" drives work in all
laptops)?

As a side note, is there a way to rule out the battery
as the cause with a volt meter? I hooked up a
voltmeter to each of the two cells and both read 4.2
volts. I just want my mp3 player back before my trip
to Mexico!!!!

Thx in advance for any help.