Subject: Re: Contributing to iRiver port

Re: Contributing to iRiver port

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_rockbox.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 10:23:09 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Attila Fülöp wrote:

> i'm new to this list. My main intention is to help getting the iRiver port
> done. I own a iHP 120 and have a fair knowledge of hardware design, embedded
> programming and i'm a native 68k speaker.

You're much welcome!

> Having a job and a real life(TM) the amount of time i can contribute to this
> project is limited though.

We're all in that position. You just have to reduce sleeping to a minimum. B-]

> If i understand it right, the iRiver port would need a I2S and a UDA1380
> driver to get audio playback on the way?
>
> Is any one working on it? Can i use the emulator to debug my code?
> Presumably not.

Most of the current bleeding-edge iRiver dev is being discussed on IRC, or
simply just researched at will.

There has not been much sound research yet on driver level (I know Dave
Chapman is checking out codec sources/APIs) so I don't think you'd duplicate a
lot of efforts if you dug into that.

And no, there's no emulator to use. We have a simulator for rather high-level
Rockbox code, and then we have the target. One outstanding task to fix is to
create a gdb stub for the target so that we can debug it over the serial port.

> Or is there something else to do?

Join us on IRC, if only for a short while, and I'm sure we can coordinate.