Subject: Re: More Responsive Track Switching

Re: More Responsive Track Switching

From: Noah Smith <midblue_at_carolina.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:39:04 -0500

<joerch.net_at_web.de> wrote:
> Noah Smith wrote:
>> What could be done, is to make a part of the buffer permanently
>> reserved for the next track on the playlist. When the playing song's
>> buffer first fills, so does the next track's smaller pre-buffer.
>
> I don't like this idea. It grabs a piece of our buffer and only holds the
> next track in buffer, and what is with the next but one track? It does'nt
> speed up the song search much.
> A main construction principle of rockbox was (if I remember right) a
> maximum mp3 buffer.

I realize that not everyone would find such a feature useful, but it seems
that near-instantaneous song skipping would be nice, if not for every
device, then for at least the ones that can afford it (8meg Recorders, etc.)
I also understand Rockbox is geared towards best playing and buffer time,
but I'm not suggesting that this be enabled for all devices, just an option
for those willing to give up some space or those who have more than enough
to spare.

If you think about it, for people who often skip tracks before they are
finished, the scheme would be buffering more of what they actually hear, as
opposed to what they miss because of changing to another track.

Noah