Subject: Re: Rockbox Digest, Vol 13, Issue 35

Re: Rockbox Digest, Vol 13, Issue 35

From: Andreas Stemmer <groovingandi_at_gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 15:18:19 +0100 (MET)

Ray Lambert wrote:
> How is this going to help? You still end up with multiple files,
> right? My understanding is that the problem is latency when rockbox
> switches from one track to the next. Is this incorrect?

It doesn't help the original poster with his problem (latency when skipping
to the next track manually). But yes, you can get gapless playback across
multiple files this way.

> Are you implying that the real problem is partial frames, e.g. at the
> end of a track?

Correct. Rockbox doesn't produce any gaps in the output, it just streams the
mp3 frames to the decoder (after removing frames with meta data, like id3
tags). The decoder chip doesn't even notice that there was a track change.
If you encode a live recording as multiple mp3s, you get partially filled
frames at the boundaries which produce audible gaps. The gaps are encoded in
the mp3s! If you encode the whole cd as one mp3 and cut the mp3 afterwards,
you won't have these gaps.

Andreas