Subject: Re: My experinces with lame --nogap

Re: My experinces with lame --nogap

From: BlueChip <cs_bluechip_at_webtribe.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 17:37:30 +0000

>I've looked on the lame web site but can't even find --nogap documented
>anywhere! (I'll search the mailing list archive later.)

Yes, weird - seems their docs are out of date - wonder how many other
options remain undocumented. Perhaps mention this also the LAME guys.

>Also, BlueChip provided us with this:
>
>>http://www.gamingforce.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-29618.html
>>
>>"LAME's --nogap switch is only useful for multiple MP3 encodes on the
>>same commandline. Instead of leaving the trailing silence, whatever
>>unfilled time that remains on the end of the MP3 is used to encode the
>>beginning of the next track. Because of this, --nogap is only useful for
>>listening to such songs strictly in order... or you'll find that some of
>>the MP3s are missing a small clip of the beginning & contain a small bit
>>of the next track at the end."
>
>I was thinking yesterday about how --nogap might work and I came up with
>something very similar to this. The one difference is that I would have
>expected them to take the partial frame at the end of the current track
>and insert before the NEXT track.

I think that problems may arise either way ...it would be nice to have the
choice - or perhaps make the decision by "which is quieter - end of trk1 or
start of trk2?" and then cut the QUIET bit to the front/back of the other
track ...still has issues, but is a start to circumvent the initial issue.

BC