Subject: Re: Gapless Playback

Re: Gapless Playback

From: BlueChip <cs_bluechip_at_webtribe.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 23:48:39 +0000

Thanks Johan. So the bottom line is no gapless mp3gain'ed files, all else
is cool ...That's acceptable (well, for me, for now) as I have no gapless
tracks.

As for undo, I can think of a few obscure reasons - but they are obscure
and I just wanted to cover my bases. I suppose there's nothing to stop me
knocking up little util to suck it out and dump it as "myMp3File.ape"
should the need ever arise - is your util online?

Is there any particular reason (which I may have previously missed) to
_not_ include APE-skipping code? I can fully understand why adding full
APE tag support is overkill* ...I mean if you add APE, where do you
stop? But an "if" statement to ignore it completely seems reasonable -
perhaps there is some more fundamental issue I have missed?

*It would mean a lot of code in the core which is currently VERY full, and
(afaik) offers nothing that is not offered by ID3 - which is fairly well
supported already.

Of course there would be no reason at all not to write a PLUGIN with Full
APE support ...but the gapless playback support _needs_ to be in the core code.

BC