Subject: Re: the ALDI rockbox?

Re: the ALDI rockbox?

From: Vladimir Pantelic <pan_at_nt.tu-darmstadt.de>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 18:51:55 +0100

BlueChip wrote:
> Perhaps more relevantly ...are there any players/manufacturers, other
> than Archos, who used the MAS reference board as the basis of their player.

The MAS3507 is/was also used by SSI in their "NEO" players

        http://www.ssi.com.tw/neo_mp31.htm

and in the discontinued "M3PO" by TerraTec:

        http://productsde.terratec.net/index.php?module=My_eGallery&do=showpic&pid=26&orderby=titleA

and of course in the very first flash based MP3 player, the "MPMAN":

        http://www.mpman.com/sites/english/p_f20.asp

The encoder chip MAS3587 is used in current PLC audio bridges:

        http://www.devolo.com/co_EN/produkte/dlan/mldlanaudio.html

> Although, to be honest, with the way the HP & gmini (I pair these, not
> only for their concurrent development, but for their effect on the
> Rockbox source code) are coming along, I think that the future is not
> with MAS based players, but with CPU based players.

Yes. When the MAS was "new", having the CPU power to do MP3 was not the usual,
now MP3 decoding is a commodity, you cannot buy a chip that does not do it :-)

>> I have wondered if there may be some brands out there that are Archos
>> models
>> in disguise.

Not that I know of.

Regards,