Subject: Re: Music collection: 40 GB+, iRiver: 20 GB. Solution?

Re: Music collection: 40 GB+, iRiver: 20 GB. Solution?

From: Manuel Dejonghe <limbus_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 14:13:10 +0100

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 12:25:11 +0100, Svante Tidholm <svante_at_demonbox.com> wrote:
> Any ideas, suggestions on software or other solutions? I think this
> problem will be more and more common since peoples music collections
> tend to grow and still they dont want to/cant afford to upgrade
> MP3-players all the time...

I'm not sure at all if there will be a solution for that "problem" one
day. I got the same problem (160 GB vs. 40 GB (minus some backup-stuff
and personal data I want to have with me all the time)) but many
people don't have or need (or even want) so much.

I can just tell you me solution to that problem: I'm using a powerfull
file differ and merger.
<BEYOND COMPARE PRAISE>
(It's called Beyond Compare, it's currently the best for windows
platforms (we tried them ALL at work before we found BeyondCompare),
and I know the manufacturers are about to develop a *nix / X-version,
which will fit for your MacOsX. It even has Plugins to compare
mp3-Files. It then lists the ID3-Tags and length of the file so you
can literally merge a good file (well encoded but bad tags) with
another (tags well done, but bad quality). The got a plugin for JPG's
as well which shows you the difference IN the picture. Whoooa, I could
continue all the time to praise BeyondCompare. I'll make it short: Get
a free full featured trial at www.scootersoftware.com and try t out)
</BEYOND COMPARE PRAISE>
This differ allows me to see which album has changed at work/at
home/on laptop, as I use the archos as transport medium. It allowes me
to see THAT/IF/WHAT my brother cleaned up some filenames/id3-tags and
so on. It shows you to sort by filesoze if you need to free some space
(and in the meantime, you can see if you already have that music on
the computer, so you're quite sure to not delete music for good and so
on. Very quick, very handy.

I don't think this solution is more "work" for meas a complete program
with some priority stuff and so on, as I would have to change the
priority on the files as well all the time if I got new music, or if I
plan to get some party music for a weekend at a friends house/change
to car-travel music later on and so on...

just my method :-)

Manuel