Subject: Re: AJR v1 battery recharging patch

Re: AJR v1 battery recharging patch

From: Jerry Van Baren <gerald.vanbaren_at_smiths-aerospace.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 17:34:49 -0500

[IDC]Dragon wrote:
> Jerry,
>

>>>I'll check it in tonight, it behaved well here, too.
>

> I found a problem with your patch:
> when building + running for Ondio now, the battery level stays at minimum.
> Haven't looked at the details yet. The same might happen to other platforms
> with no software controlled charging. So better not tonight.
> (An annoing side effect is that the flash plugin refuses to work if the
> battery level is considered critical.)
>
> Jörg

Argh, the Law of Unintended Consequences.

I haven't looked at the code, but here is a guess if you could check:

It may be in the one minute wait loop: if the battery has S/W controlled
recharging, the code repeatedly calls the "look for car adapter" and
_also_ calls the routine that does the battery level filtering. If the
battery recharging isn't S/W controlled, it just does a 60 second wait.
  In this case the filtered battery voltage wouldn't get filtered and
the battery level sensing would be using non-existing data.

If this is the case, the fix would be to simply loop and call the
battery filter routine regardless of whether it is a S/W controlled
charge model or not (cut out or modify the #ifdef/#else).

...or maybe I just blew out the last three synapses I in my brain and
the above is totally wrong.

gvb