Subject: Re: Attn: Audioscrobbler Users

Re: Attn: Audioscrobbler Users

From: Neon John <jgd_at_johngsbbq.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 16:00:18 -0500

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 08:34:19 -0700, Rocker <rocker_at_shaw.ca> wrote:

>John wrote:
>
>I'm sitting here scratching my head trying to figure out why I'd want
>a computer history of what I've listened to. I KNOW what I've
>listened to. Seriously, why would I want that?
>
>rocker comments:
>
>Agreed! Sounds to me like the next step is some good spam offering you a
>great deal on your favourite music is the logical next step. I really don't
>get it either?

I wasn't thinking of that per se. If I signed up it would be using
all false info and a throwaway email address.

I just can't figure out why I need a service to help me keep track of
what I listen to. I know what I like and I know my collection. I
don't listen to stuff I don't like, nor do I keep it around.

I guess that if I were a teenager just starting to build a music
collection then the "similar recommendations" might be useful. I'm on
the other end, with a mature but huge (about 14,000 songs) collection.
I have most of that collection on my 80gb JBR so I can move from band
and from genre at will. It is rare to find anything new today that I
like.

I don't care what anyone else listens to and I don't broadcast my
tastes (what's the purpose?) so I just don't see the need for anything
else beyond a well organized collection.

John
---
John De Armond
jgd_at_johngsbbq.com