Subject: trying again - jbr 20 only halfway recognized?!

trying again - jbr 20 only halfway recognized?!

From: Todd <btodd_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 14:29:48 -0800 (PST)

hi all -

I posted back in january and got some helpful tips, but none that
solved my problem. so I am posting again...

compaq evo running xp pro (SP2); new in jan. jbr20 running rb 2.4. ran
fine on old windows me desktop, plug and play on work laptop running xp
home - popped right up in my My Computer, drag and drop fine, the
works. plugged into new system, beeped to signal new hardware, up pops
the remove hardware safely icon showing that it has been assigned drive
letter E.

but - nothing in My Computer or Explorer. therefore doesn't register in
winamp or media player. DOES show up as drive E in disk management, a
few layers down in my computer, whence I can open and explore, plus
copy files to and from - as long as I leave the window open. as soon as
its closed, windows "forgets" it's there.

so - my question is, if the computer knows enough to give it a drive
letter, why can't it get smart enough to put it in the right place?

addt'l info - the driver is a 5/2001 era microsoft, even though I have
downloaded and run the archos self-installer a few times (rebooting
religiously after each attempt)

thanks
Todd