Subject: Re: trying again - jbr 20 only halfway recognized?!

Re: trying again - jbr 20 only halfway recognized?!

From: Brian Wolven <brian.wolven_at_verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 10:53:18 -0500

Jens Arnold wrote:
> Hello Mark
>
>>This sometimes happens to me, both with my Archos and a
>>ThumbDrive - Even if you find the drive and open it, you are
>>limited to 8.3 filenames!
>
>>I have always found a reboot, whilst leaving the drive
>>connected fixes the problem. In addition, I only generally see
>>this occur if I have been using "Standby". If I shutdown and
>>power off the PC when not in use, I don't think this fault
>>occurs...
>
> This is an explorer problem. On XP, this happens much less often
> if you upgrade to SP2 (at least it did for me).
>
> Anyway, if you experience these effects, you don't need to reboot.
> Simply open the task manager and kill *all* 'explorer.exe'
> processes. The windows explorer is also in charge of providing
> the desktop, so doing this will make the taskbar vanish. You need
> to restart the first explorer via the task manager's menu
> (file->new task). Then start another explorer. The drive letter
> should now be there, including lfn support.

I've found a 3rd party hotkey application to be useful here - define one
key combo to start (or restart) an explorer window. It'll save you a few
milliseconds every time you have to do this. =) You could probably set
up a batch file that'd kill existing explorer processes as well, and
bind that to another hotkey. I only run explorer as a file manager (I'm
using an alternate shell), so I haven't needed that option.

One think that might be worth playing with to see if it helps reduce
this problem is to go to Tools->Folder options in an explorer window,
then select the "view" tab, and check the box for "Launch folder windows
in a separate process". I wonder if that might eliminate the need to
kill the shell; you'd still have to close any open explorer file manager
windows though. Just a thought...