Subject: Re: trying again - jbr 20 only halfway recognized?!

Re: trying again - jbr 20 only halfway recognized?!

From: Jens Arnold <arnold-j_at_t-online.de>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 08:35:57 +0100

Hello Brian

On 23.03.2005, you wrote:

> Jens Arnold wrote:
>> Hello Mark

>>> This sometimes happens to me, both with my Archos and a
>>> ThumbDrive - Even if you find the drive and open it, you are
>>> limited to 8.3 filenames!
>>
>>> I have always found a reboot, whilst leaving the drive
>>> connected fixes the problem. In addition, I only generally
>>> see this occur if I have been using "Standby". If I shutdown
>>> and power off the PC when not in use, I don't think this
>>> fault occurs...

>> This is an explorer problem. On XP, this happens much less
>> often if you upgrade to SP2 (at least it did for me).

>> Anyway, if you experience these effects, you don't need to
>> reboot. Simply open the task manager and kill *all*
>> 'explorer.exe' processes. The windows explorer is also in
>> charge of providing the desktop, so doing this will make the
>> taskbar vanish. You need to restart the first explorer via
>> the task manager's menu (file->new task). Then start another
>> explorer. The drive letter should now be there, including lfn
>> support.

> I've found a 3rd party hotkey application to be useful here -
> define one key combo to start (or restart) an explorer window.
> It'll save you a few milliseconds every time you have to do
> this. =) You could probably set up a batch file that'd kill
> existing explorer processes as well, and bind that to another
> hotkey. I only run explorer as a file manager (I'm using an
> alternate shell), so I haven't needed that option.

> One think that might be worth playing with to see if it helps
> reduce this problem is to go to Tools->Folder options in an
> explorer window, then select the "view" tab, and check the box
> for "Launch folder windows in a separate process". I wonder if
> that might eliminate the need to kill the shell; you'd still
> have to close any open explorer file manager windows though.
> Just a thought...

"Launch windows in a separate process" is one of my standard
settings which I always activate asap on a new Windows box.
Maybe this is one of the reasons why I don't experience this
effect that often. It almost completely stopped when I upgraded
to SP2.

However, *if* it happens, I still have to kill all explorer
processes. There is almost always a hung process (e.g. if I
close all visible explorer windows, I still have 2 (!)
explorer.exe processes, and since I don't know which one is the
hung process and which is my shell, I have to kill both.

Regards, Jens