Rockbox mail archiveSubject: (was: (no subject))
(was: (no subject))
From: BlueChip <cs_bluechip_at_webtribe.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 20:17:14 +0100
EMP is the electronics killer - especially magnetic based recording meduims
- of which a hdd is most certianly one ...Moveable rust flakes glued to a
spinning glass disk - somewhere between a (philips) casette and a record
which plays out from the middle using a teeny weeny magent instead of a
needle, and spins considerably faster than 33 RPM :)
Start by simply reformatting the hard drive - you could get lucky.
Next will be a low level format, to replace the engineering marks on the
***USE THE MANUFACTURERS LOW LEVEL FORMATTING UTIL DESGINED FOR YOUR
The worry is that if you hit the right frequency for long enough you could
have killed anything - for 'tis the nature of EMP :( Massive magnetic
pulses cause an empathetic movement of electrons in metallic substances -
that is ...a big enough magnet (or much smaller alternating
(electro-)magnet) will generate electricity INSIDE componenets ...breach
the chips safety specs, and the result is anything from dead to (apprently)
Pray for it to be a dead hard drive :)
>I am a car audio guy, and I just got through installing on my car. The
>thing is, when I was installing my sub and testing it with test tones from
>my Archos Recorder v2, the 9" diameter by 3" tall magnets accidentally
>came near the MP3 player.
>Basically, now, the MP3 player loads perfectly. It has no problem
>spinning up the hard drive, however on about 80 to 90 percent of my songs,
>the mp3 player will play 5-8 seconds of the song, and then lock down, stop
>playing, and I have to force shutdown on it.
>Also, when plugging it into a computer, the mp3 player will not register
>with the computer half of the time, and when it does, it comes up as a
>"Local Disk Drive" (not "Jukebox:") and also reports the drive to be
>What can I do to make my MP3 player usable?
Received on 2005-04-19