Subject: Broken JBR - Searching for SMD Value

Broken JBR - Searching for SMD Value

From: Matthias Klumpp <Matthias.Klumpp_at_gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 19:59:19 +0200

Hi,

a friend of mine brought me a broken JBR V1, that has the following mal function
symptoms:
- Rockbox daily build 11.04.2004 flashed
- 2100mAh NiMH batteries are new, tested and ok
- Player is working perfectly, while running on battery power

- With original Archos power adapter plugged in:
-> the keys are not working
-> display data (e.g. running time in song, system time etc.) is not updated
-> batteries are not charged at all
-> power adapter symbol in display is shown
-> JBR is switching on in car adapter mode

I already soldered the battery connectors as shown in:
http://www.rockbox.org/docs/repairbattery.html
-> no change of behaviour

While opening I found a burned SMD device near the DC in socket on the top side
of the display PCB.
I tried to mark the position in the following picture:
http://home.tiscali.de/matthiasklumpp/Mixed/JBRV1_Broken_SMD_device.jpg

The original picture is taken from the Rockbox HP and does NOT exactly show my
type of JBR.
I tried to locate some devices in the JPG as I find them on my device.
The broken SMD device is the one marked with a red circle.
On the left side of the broken device, there is a "R47" labeled horizontal
device (resistor ??).
On the upper left side of the broken device, there is a "000" labeled vertical
device (0 Ohm resistor ??).
The broken device is also vertically mounted.

The JBR has the following numbers:

On the backside label:
- JBR 20 101
- S/N 031700205

On the display PCB:
- JUKEBOX REC MP3
- INTERFACE V2.1B

Does anybody have any ideas what kind of SMD device it might be ?
Any ideas if that device (when broken) can cause the a.m. symptoms ?
Any other ideas I could test to make that JBR run again ?

Many thanks to you all in advance :-)))

Matthias