Subject: Re: how to get "Line IN" to work ...with a non "Line Level" device (ie. microphone)

Re: how to get "Line IN" to work ...with a non "Line Level" device (ie. microphone)

From: BlueChip <cs_bluechip_at_webtribe.net>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 18:14:36 +0100

The MIC gain on a PC *is* a pre-amp stage ...the gain on the Jukebox is
akin to the "MIC volume slider" under windows ...This "MIC volume slider"
is the SECOND stage amplifier ...The MIC "+20db" thingie, depending on your
sound card, normally equates to a "tick box" which means 'pre-amp on/off'

A MIC preamp can be, as I say, as simple as a couple of transistors (well,
more literally ...and a couple of resistors and possibly a small capacitor
to clean the sound up a bit), the complete circuit you could bodge together
at home with uber-basic soldering knowledge and NO circuit board at all and
it would fit on your baby finger nail - so portability is not an issue
...actually you will have more trouble carrying the tripple-A battery that
you would need to power it ...thinks to self: wonder if you could build one
that would run off a hearing aid battery?

Persoanlly, I put my (massively oversized) archos pre-amp in the front
pocket of the Jukebox case and have cut a small hole so I can feed the
cable direct into the main carry area ...then just plug my mic into the
front pocket instead of direct to the jukebox.

Hope that helps,

BC

PS. is "HTH" HOPE to help or HAPPY to help?