Subject: Slightly OT: Channel phase

Slightly OT: Channel phase

From: Johan Vromans <jvromans_at_squirrel.nl>
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 10:48:44 +0200

Audiophiles,

[Much of this info is 'second hand', so correct me if I got it wrong]

To obtain the best audio quality with loudspeakers, they need to be in
phase. For this, most loudspeakers have marked terminals (usually red
and black). While connecting a set of old speakers for a friend of
mine, I noticed that they didn't have markings so I cannot be sure how
to get the phase right without disassembling the boxes (what I prefer
not to do).

This leads to the following questions:

 1. Is is true that phase matters?
 2. Is there a way to reverse the phase of one channel of an MP3 file
    so you can determine the correct phase by listening to the sound
    while playing the original and reversed versions?
 3. Or maybe there's an easier way to find out the phase of a set of
    speakers?

Thanks,
        Johan