Subject: iRiver playback patch => better sound quality!

iRiver playback patch => better sound quality!

From: Pedro Vasconcelos <pbv_at_st-andrews.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 22:48:23 +0100

Ok, so I've been pretty excited trying out the latest playback patch for
the iRiver.

Having contributed with the (simple) optimizations for Vorbis it's very
rewarding to see that this codec is already usable! Since I rip all my
cds to vorbis, this is very good news :-)

First: is it just me or anyone else noticed that Rockbox Ogg Vorbis
playback SOUNDS BETTER than the stock iRiver firmware!?!? The rockbox
sound is smother, more detailed and "musical" than the stock firmware.
This is particularly noticable with well recorded acoustic music (eg.
string quartets, choral pieces) -- any well recorded track, for that mater --
i've just been listening to the LOTR soundtrack and it is quite
obvious.

I don't think it's a placebo effect, I wasn't expecting to hear it at
all and had to switch back and forth to the iRiver firmware to convice I
wasn't fooling myself.

My conjecture is that 1) iRiver took an earlier version of Tremor
possibly less well-tuned and 2) they had to cut corners to get it to
run in realtime (or in the available memory) i.e. use the lower accuracy
arithmetic.

Second: I'm doing some more work in the Tremor optimzation and now i've
got it to go from 130% -> 150% real time :-). Nothing fancy, just a
better allocation of iram. When I'm happy that is runs well and doesn't
break anything I'll commit it to the cvs.

This is looking pretty good,

Pedro