Subject: Broken mailers (was: Re: Autoresume confuses me)

Broken mailers (was: Re: Autoresume confuses me)

From: Jonas H. <rasher_at_rasher.dk>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 06:44:39 +0200

On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 07:53:27PM -0500, Glenn at home wrote:
> Hi,
> I don't know about everyone else here on the list, but if you really care if
> I read your messages, you will not send your comments as attachments, as I
> won't read them unless it is quite important.
> I have too much mail to bother with opening your attachments.
> Just my 2 cents worth.
> Not trying to be nasty here, but possibly others are doing the same as me.
> Glenn

Right. Let me count the ways in which this statement is wrong.

1. I'm sending my comment as a text/plain attachment, which your
MUA *should* be smart enough to display along with the part that
mailman adds. The additional pgp/gpg signature is sent seperately
and marked appropriately. As it should be.

2. Making comments about other people's posting habbits while using the
worst known MUA in existence is pretty bold. If posts appear broken and
wrong, always assume that Outlook Express is in the wrong - not the
poster.

Now I realize that you're using a broken user agent, and
you should pretty much expect all kinds of brokenness when doing so.

To avoid taking this further, I will no longer sign my emails with my
gpg signature, to allow people who are for some reason stuck up on using
broken MUAs.

I do suggest trying a better alternative though. Mozilla Thunderbird
springs to mind, and I'm sure there are others.

--
Jonas H
rasher(at)rasher(dot)dk