Subject: A 'Tape' state for files

A 'Tape' state for files

From: mat <matholton_at_landofconfusion.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 23:50:11 +0100

Hi folks,

Whilst reading a slashdot article about the death of the Cassette Tape,
and reading the following comment:

"Audio books have all seemed to be switching over to CD-ROM, but it
makes me sad. I don't really care about ultra-high fidelity when being
read a book. What I /do/ care about is not having it lose my place when
I have to stop the car, etc. I rarely stop on a chapter boundary. And
it's rare for audio players to remember the CD's their position well
under all the circumstances they need to in order to make Audio Books on
CD really work."

...it occured to me that we are lacking this feature. Yes, I know we
have bookmarking but I think there is a better alternative. I suggest
being able to mark a file (and album (folder) perhaps?) as a 'Tape', so
whenever it is played it starts playing from where it left off, when the
user last pressed stop. Also, the icon could change to that of a tape,
indicating immediatly what the behaviour and state it was in.

I know, I would like this as I liszten to radio shows and comedy shows
and rarely get to listen to end bit's of stuff as I havn't bothered to
mess around with bookmarking.

In fact, I think the video player has this funtionality already, but
constantly.

What do you think?

mat