Subject: Re: Iriver "bleeding" mp2 48kHz buffering problems

Re: Iriver "bleeding" mp2 48kHz buffering problems

From: Thom Johansen <thomj_at_pvv.ntnu.no>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 23:14:51 +0200

Martin Borus wrote:
> Hi, I have some severe buffering problems with 48 kHz
> mp2 direct rips from satellite. Strangely, I know that
> I had one bleeding build that played the file in full in the
> correct speed. That was the first one that had resampling
> I tested. But since then all the dailies I tested failed on the
> second file. All tests sone on a H140 Iriver.
>
> First the good news:
>
> 1. Example: AFN Radio, mp2 48kHz, 128k, 4 hours length
> Buffering starts at aprox 2:00 into the song.
> Buffers for 80 seconds and than doesn't buffer
> at least until 7:30 and I can forward to 30:00 minutes
> into the file without any new HD access.
>
> 2. Example:
> MTV TV sound, mp2 48 kHz, 192k, 2 hours length
> Buffering starts at aprox 1:37 into the song.
> Each pause is a short interruption, mostly followed
> by a HD spinup.

[...snip...]
> Before each pause, The time display goes 0:00 and the HD spins up.
>
> I also tried a
> 3. example:
> BBC TV sound, mp2 48 kHz, 256k, 3 hours length
> Pause each 6 seconds.
>
> So it seems that the 48kHz-44Khz downsampling and the buffering are
> fighting a battle
> and that buffering looses...
>
> Martin

In the bleeding edge builds, there is a new audio thread monitor in the
debug menu. This shows how full the audio buffer is while you're
playing. If these pauses are caused by too slow a decoder, the top bar
will hit bottom from time to time. If you could report whether this is
the case, it would be most helpful. However, it sounds like you've got
some other problems.

Thom