Subject: Re: raising the bar in language support

Re: raising the bar in language support

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_rockbox.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 19:50:12 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005, BlueChip wrote:

> As for "I do not want to use an XML Parser" ...Perhaps you would if you saw
> how simple they make life...

I know what XML is, what it does, how to use it and how to write programs that
read XML files. Thanks.

That's also why I know I don't want XML here. XML is _not_ a universal fix to
all problems.

> but for future a project where you want to save time :)

Yes it saves time for the programmer who wants to parse or generate a file,
but it punishes all the users that will have to read and edit these files for
months and years to come.

Compare to ant configs: excessive pain.

I believe in KISS and the good old unix philosofy where all config files are
plain text. It allows easy use of text-oriented tools like grep, sed, awk etc.
It makes the files easy to read and write manually. XML prevents that.

Now, can we please put focus back on the actual contents of the file and how
we should use them in the future?

My updated draft (still work in progress) is now found here:

         http://daniel.haxx.se/rockbox/langv2