Subject: Re: raising the bar in language support

Re: raising the bar in language support

From: BlueChip <cs_bluechip_at_webtribe.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 19:12:22 +0100

>>With that, strings could be #ifdef-ed like code, depending on features
>>and hardware limitations instead of model names.
>
>Yes, but it would not fix all the problems and would make the language
>files rather hostile to non-technical people (which translators often are).

Why not work as a team?
Get the "native speaker" to do the translation and send it as a plain text
file.
Then get a "techie" to type it in.

OR ...Given language support has become so key to the success of Rockbox,
why not 'knock up' some mickey mouse util so that the internal format is
hidden from the translators

print "what is <this string> in <this language>"
input a$
gosub write_file

>The biggest problem it would leave out is how to make "uplang" work. At
>least it isn't obvious in my head.

Sadly PERL is not my language (I've been promising to learn it for years,
just never had the need) so I'm not 100% sure what uplang does ...but if
you still want a solution, tell me in English what is does and I will spec
a new algorithm for you :)

BC