Subject: Re: Asteroids on rockbox!

Re: Asteroids on rockbox!

From: Jens Arnold <arnold-j_at_t-online.de>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 19:14:44 +0200

On 04.10.2005, Frederic Devernay wrote:

> Daniel Stenberg wrote:
>> On Mon, 3 Oct 2005, Frederic Devernay wrote:
>>
>>> - why does rockbox hang if I open this plugin while playing
>>> music?

>> What buffer space do you use to load the rom into and how do
>> you get it?

> - The ram+rom is stored in global variables (32Kb+8Kb for
> asteroids, 32Kb+12Kb for asteroids deluxe).
> - I use IDATA_ATTR variables for things such as registers,
> stack, frequently used global variables, for a total of less
> than 300 bytes.

That's the reason for the crashing. You must not use IRAM from
within a plugin before stopping the music. The IRAM area is
shared between codecs and plugins, so you'll overwrite codec
data. The only plugin using IRAM so far is rockboy, and that
stops the music anyway because it needs the audio buffer for

> - I'm boosting the CPU, maybe there's
> something wrong there too? - The binaries are also quite
> large, because of static binary translation (the rom is
> recompiled for the native CPU): 242Kb for asteroids
> 547Ko for asteroids deluxe But there didn't seem to be any
> limitation on plugins size in rockbox (as opposed to codecs).

There is a size limit for plugins. 768KB on H1x0, 32KB on
archos. That rules out asteroids for archos as an ordinary
plugin, but it could be possible as an overlay like rockboy,
provided the archos CPU speed is sufficient (and it implies
stopping playback - the overlay technique uses the audiobuffer).

> Does anything seem wrong with that?

> Fred

Regards, Jens