Subject: Re: regression in battery charging since going to 2.5?? (probably not but ..)

Re: regression in battery charging since going to 2.5?? (probably not but ..)

From: Tom Cole <tcole_at_xtra.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 10:25:59 +1300

On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 08:50:56 -0600, "Jeff N" <jeffn_at_zombieworld.com>
wrote:

>I also have noticed a dramatic decrease in battery life since going to 2.5. It seems to need a charge only after a few hours of use. I'm using some 2500maH Energizer batteries that are about 3 months old on my Recorder. I always charge them in my Recorder, and always run it down as low as possible before recharging. I normally let them recharge overnight, and when I unplug it it's in trickle charge mode. If anyone needs any more info or needs me to run tests, let me know. Perhaps it's just crappy batteries, but after seeing George's post, I thought I'd let you all know.
>
>Jeff

A couple of questions:

Is your "Disk Poweroff" set to Yes?
    (F1 > General Settings > System > Disk > Disk Poweroff)
If set to No, powering the disk all the time will drain the batteries
faster.

In your WPS file do you display the Peak Meter (%pm)?

>From the 2.5 Change Log
http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/ChangeLog25
"The peakmeter has been reworked. The performance setting is removed,
and now always runs in what was previously known as high performance
mode, slightly changed. " (This may or may not be relevant.)

The battery charging algorithm was changed around April 2005. I have
been running my Recorder V1 on the 5 April 2005 daily build. This
contained most of the charging changes. I average 8-10 hours per charge
running with the original 1500maH Archos batteries.

Rockbox can meter your run time. (F1 > Info > Debug > View Runtime).
Ensure the Current Time has been Zeroed after a charge (press Play in
"View Runtime").