Subject: New crossfading - why time and not volume based?

New crossfading - why time and not volume based?

From: Martin Borus <mborus_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 21:40:37 +0100

Hi, just saw that the Iriver crossfading now has extra options.
Still it depends on time and not on the volume of the songs played.
So if you play a mixture of songs with different kinds of endings, every
selection is a huge compromise.

Couldn't crossfade work more like the archos recorder trigger, where you
can define a trigger volume and duration that would then trigger a fade?
You'd also set a check time, so that in my example only the last
seconds of each track would be checked for the fade.

I use a similar way of crossfading on my PC (the free winamp plugin
SqrSoft Advanced Crossfading) and the results are pretty
amazing...

Here me setting are:
- Start checking 16 seconds at the track end
- Start "crossfade" when playing track is below -15db (for second or so)
- Mix (don't fade)

Martin