Subject: Re: Batteries

Re: Batteries

From: Neon John <jgd_at_johngsbbq.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 23:42:01 -0500

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 04:23:48 +0000, Bluechip <csbluechip_at_gmail.com>
wrote:

>I popped down to my local branch of Dixons (well, actually it was in the
>next town across, but I was there for an interview anyway) and purchased
>some Energizer 2500 mAh batteries with a seperate-cell charger which can be
>either mains or car-lighter powered for £25 (not bad for an off-the-shelf
>price)

Which charger did you get? Is it the one with the black cylindrical +
connections that slide in and out and with a fan? A url to a photo
would be grand.

Reason I ask is that I recently bought one of those. Labeled "15
minute charger". I also have the previous edition "30 minute
charger". This is the one where one battery fits on each of the 4
sides of the charger.

I'm not having much luck getting either of these to charge Energizer
batteries, including the ones that came with the chargers. Both
chargers activate the fault lights. Both chargers do fine with some
Powerex and some Batteries America private label 2300 mah batteries.

Both chargers seem to do a rather complex little analysis of the
battery when it is inserted. It looks like it might be an impedance
measurement. I was going to analyze the circuitry but the *ssholes
ground all the numbers off the chips.

The Energizer batteries charge just fine in a Ray-o-Vac 2 hour charger
(still my favorite) and the capacity checks out OK so there is nothing
wrong with the batteries.

I'm just wondering if I've hit incredible odds and have gotten two bad
chargers in a row or if there is a design problem.

John
---
John De Armond
http://www.johngsbbq.com