Subject: Re: Batteries

Re: Batteries

From: Neon John <jgd_at_johngsbbq.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 00:08:02 -0500

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 04:53:58 +0000, Bluechip <csbluechip_at_gmail.com>
wrote:

>Here is an advert page for the 1hour charger with batteries that I purchased.
>http://www.battech.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=335&products_id=878
>You can click the image to enlarge.
>
>The wall wart and cable for the lighter adaptor is in a blister on the back
>of the package - so you can't see them in the picture.

That one is different than either of mine. Go figure.

>The batteries were fine when I put them in, although one did start flashing
>when I kicked the charger, and the charger had to be powered down and back
>up again. Two of my archos batteries flashed at me, the other two
>charged. I reset the charger a few times that evening, but it was happy to
>complain about the same batteries every time.

Let me make sure I read that correctly. You have to power down the
charger to reset the blinkies? Strange. Both of mine reset when I
take the battery out of the slot.

I've found that sometimes I can "shock" a cell into charging by
briefly connecting the cell across a large 12 volt gell cell via two
light gauge gator clip jumpers, letting the jumpers be the current
limiters. Maybe 5 seconds at most. No idea what that does to the
cell other than warm it a little but it has worked often enough to
know that something is happening.

>I don't know why it stresses "unplug between uses" ...is that a "save the
>environment" thing or does it really need to have it's power cut bewtween
>charge cycles?

I leave mine on more or less all the time. Cycling power doesn't seem
to affect the behavior when one is acting up. I've tried all combos -
taking batteries out, cycling power, leaving batteries in, cycling
power, one battery at time, etc. Neither charger seems to like its
own brand of batteries.

John
---
John De Armond