Subject: Re: OT quick question about drive letters

Re: OT quick question about drive letters

From: Jochen Schulz <ml_at_well-adjusted.de>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 19:47:25 +0100

ian douglas:

> Linux is the same way, it'll build a device as the next available SATA
> device, like /dev/sda1, /dev/sdb1, etc

But the good thing is, that you can tell udev to use some other device
than the default one (at least with a recent 2.6 kernel):

$ grep iriver /etc/udev/rules.d/local.rules
BUS="scsi", SYSFS{model}="MK2004GAL", NAME{all_partitions}="iriver"

This makes my iriver always appear as /dev/iriver with the usual
partition number appended:

$ grep iriver /etc/fstab
/dev/iriver1 /media/iriver vfat rw,user,noauto,codepage=850,utf8 0 0

J.
--
I frequently find myself at the top of the stairs with absolutely
nothing happening in my brain.