Subject: Re: OT quick question about drive letters

Re: OT quick question about drive letters

From: Neon John <jgd_at_johngsbbq.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 16:38:32 -0500

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 10:32:43 -0800, ian douglas <id_at_w98.us> wrote:

>> I didn't realize a device could tell Windows what drive letter to use?
>> How is that managed by the device? Windows would actually have to pay
>> attention and do what someone told it to do?!?
>
>In Windows 2000 and XP, you can go into the control panel,
>administrative tools, and look at the storage devices. Here, you can
>change drive letters (WARNING: you can really mess up your system if you
>don't know what you're doing) ... but I'm pretty certain you can't remap
>drive letters on USB devices. I may be wrong though?

I think you can but I'm not sure how. I've noticed that XP saves the
drive assignment of USB drives. I think it does it by the model
number inquiry that the drive returns. My observations in support of
this theory:

I have a bunch of 250gb WD drives that I use for off-site backups. I
back up through my laptop. I notice that all of these drives which
have the same model number, mount as the same drive letter.

Both of my Toshiba 80gb JBRs mount as the same (but different from
above) drive. Another JBR with the original 20gig drive mounts as yet
another unique drive.

Drives brought over by friends who want to copy stuff off my system
mount as yet other unique letters.

I'm sure there's a way to organize this but I've never taken the time
to figure it out.

John

---
John De Armond