Subject: Re: .LNK FILES IN ROCKBOX

Re: .LNK FILES IN ROCKBOX

From: Jens Arnold <arnold-j_at_t-online.de>
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 19:11:48 +0100

On 05.12.2005, ian douglas wrote:

> I'll tinker with the LNK files, but if I can't get around the
> filename situation then I'm not sure it'll be worth pursuing.
> Obviously, we'd need a way to create the same symlink
> structure for other OS's so Linux/Apple fans could copy files
> around too ... might be a hassle.

> My initial thought: the Windows .LNK structure could work but
> would only serve the Windows crowd. I use Linux about 90% of
> the time, and I'm sure there are other OS's represented on
> this list, which won't have any way to create the .LNK files
> natively.

Some remarks:

(1) The rockbox file api only supports absolute paths, so the
.lnk file structure would be a workable solution. The drive
letter needs to be ignored (stripped) on reading, but that's it.

(2) Cygwin implements posix-style symlinks using windows-style
.lnk files. I see no reason why rockbox shouldn't be able to do
the same. Same goes for the Linux VFAT driver, btw.

In fact I was thinking about implementing exactly this, but
it doesn't have high priority on my personal todo list.

(3) Supporting any other file system than VFAT is considered
overkill, since we have to support VFAT anyway. The only
possible exception is HFS support for the iPod port, imho

(4) There is already a patch in the tracker for simple 'faked'
link support (plain text file containing destination path)

Regards, Jens