Subject: Re: replying to threads on the list

Re: replying to threads on the list

From: <ashridah_at_netspace.net.au>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 08:25:06 +1100

Quoting Manuel Dejonghe <manuel_at_dejonghe.de>:

> Hi,
> can't you modify the subject when replying to a mail ?

Email's a little more complicated than that.

The same subject doesn't determine the thread perfectly, you really need to also
include a header along the lines of
header from the email you're replying to (and possibly, other references, I
don't remember exactly).

In answer to the original question, it's non-trivial, since digest mode is a
summarisation, it probably doesn't include the appropriate headers that you'd
need to copy bits out of in order to attach to the thread.
Using the same subject will get people's attention tho, it just won't be obvious
which post you're replying to, since it won't appear to be threaded in all email
clients.

Andrew

This email was sent from Netspace Webmail: http://www.netspace.net.au